Monday, January 14, 2008

Hard NYE, harder than necessary.



So, for new years I went to L.A. to go to Hard NYE which was a concert featuring 2 Live Crew, Peaches, Busy P and Justice.
(and a few others) I was pretty excited and so we got there pretty early, which was good because I heard the line got too big for security to handle efficiently. Anyways, this was the debut for the event and it showed. The
y didn't have any kind of schedule posted for the lineup. I figured that it was a minor set back and that all I would need to do was ask someone that worked there, well I was wrong. No one had any idea where and when the artists were playing, not even the damn sound board guys. I just went to the main stage figuring that it would be the best. Well, the super hyped L.A. DJ by the name of Steve Aoki came out. I was pretty excited because everyone was talking about him. He came out in a glitter American flag vest so I assumed it would kick ass. Unfortunately he just kept falling on his ass. He was mad plastered. Now, don't get me wrong sometimes mad plastered can make things tuff and cool, but it took him 20 minutes just to get the borrowed needles plugged in to his tables. He fell over a couple of times and then got playing. Some of it was ok, but then he pulled a cord out or something and the sound cut and that was that. If thats all that L.A. has to offer as far as DJs go, man L.A. sucks. (His album is coming out soon, so I will give it another chance, getting mad drunk on new years can be an exception) After him I think it was Whitey that came on, it was ok. Peaches then came on and she is pretty tuff. I really enjoyed the theatrics of it all. I felt her amazing roland 505 beats got a bit lost in the live performance on account of the rockin guitar, but it was still good and super sexual. Her outfit was incredible. She hit the new years off. There wasn't a countdown which was weird, but whatever. Justice came out after and were perched upon a 10 foot high lit up cross, way tuff. They played a great set with much of their own material remixed. Security blew, so we kept storming the stage to boogie, but they then cut the sound and said no mas until we get down. When I say "we" I mean the Hard NYE security. Justice told everyone to get back up and dance. Busy P was dancing up there and then got up on the cross and Justice mixed right into his set. His set was super dancy and awesome. Some boner blew off a dust bomb thing on the side of the stage and I, being in the front, got dust crap (or anthrax) all up in my face. Nevertheless it was rockin. Now I really wanted to see A-Trak, and I kept seeing him on the stage hanging out so I figured he'd go on there, well he never did. Apparently, (I read later) he played on the other stage at 11, probably during suck Whitey. I didn't know due to the dumb asses "running" the thing. I still am bitter about that. Overall it was worth it and I had a great time, but there was such organization problems it hindered its awesomeness from reaching maximum levels. (p.s. tuff is better than tough)
(Thats me in the yellow shirt)

No comments: